About the Program
DUE TO THE COVID-19 RESPONSE, HOURS OF OPERATION HAVE BEEN REDUCED. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS.
Diabetes Education Program Group Programming: (Parkdale Site)
- Living Well Lunch Club: this program is a monthly drop-in during which clients with diabetes cook, share a meal together and support one another on their emotional journey with diabetes. Held the second Monday of each month from 12:30-2PM.
- Living Life Well with Diabetes: in this eight-week hands-on program, participants will increase their knowledge, skills, and confidence relating to diabetes management. Held in the fall. Click here to read the program booklet.
- Helping You Cope: in this six-week program, participants will learn how to improve their coping and self-care practices, replace self-defeating thoughts and actions with wellness promoting actions and be empowered to take control over their lives.
- Plan Well, Budget Smart, Be Healthy: in this six-week program, participants will learn how to plan menus, grocery shop, and prepare healthy meals. This program is open to individuals with diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Craving Change™: in this three-week program, participants will explore their relationship to food, why they eat, and learn strategies to change their problematic eating.
- Insulin Support Group: in this four-week program, participants will learn more about how to use insulin. This group is targeted towards individuals with type 2 diabetes who are currently using insulin, will be using insulin, or would like to learn more.
- Monthly Workshops: we offer special cooking workshops throughout the year. Check our calendar for more details!
- World Diabetes Day: each year, in November, our team holds a special all-day event in celebration of World Diabetes Day. Join us for educational workshops and presentations, a health lunch, an exercise class, prizes and giveaways.
Diabetes Education Program: Group programming (Queen West site)
- Diabetes Support Group:
In this program, held every 3rd Wednesday of the month, participants build knowledge, self-management skills, and support from each other in their diabetes care.
- Healthy Cooking on a Budget:
In this 5-week workshop, run three times a year, participants learn through a cooking demonstration, held by a health & wellness chef, how to cook great tasting meals that are healthy and budget-friendly.
- Diabetes 101: Just the Basics for a Healthy Lifestyle
During this group information session facilitated by our diabetes team, participants learn about the basics of diabetes management including the functional changes associated with diabetes, acute and chronic complications, and healthy eating guidelines.
- Fit 4 Life Physical Activity Program
Held every Monday at 10:00AM, join us in our physical activity class, which can help improve health at any age and stage of life. We offer a variety of activities, including light aerobics, Nordixx pole walking, dancing and more.
- Diabetes Mobile Clinic: Diabetes Screening, Workshops, and One-on-One Counselling
The Diabetes Education Program is available to facilitate diabetes screening using the CANRISK questionnaire to screen for an individual’s risk for developing diabetes. We also provided diabetes education workshops and appointments in Primary Care and Medical Centres, pharmacies, and agencies within our community. Please call us for more information.
If you’re not located in our catchment area, you may view a list of Diabetes Education Programs in the GTA to find one that is closest to you. In order to participate in a Diabetes Education Program in the GTA, you must fill out a referral form.