Queen West Nail Salon Workers’ Project
Queen West Nail Salon Workers’ Project looks at workplace health issues and the employment conditions of these workers. Below are reports and resources related to this project:
- Healthy Nail Salon Workers Project: Ontario Health Promotion E-Bulletin, 26 June 2015
- Healthy Nail Salon Workers Project – Women’s College Hospital, Womens Xchange Final Report 2014-15
- Focus Group Results: How training and employment conditions impact on Toronto nail technicians’ ability to protect themselves at work
- Peer-led Occupational Health Education Project: Protecting nail technicians’ hands – CREOD Final Report 2014-15
- Beyond the mani-pedi… downloadable pamphlets in 3 languages are available here.
Ontario Lung Association’s (OLA) Hair Nail and Beauty Salon work-related asthma pamphlets in simplified Chinese, Vietnamese and English:
The following brochures provide information on what workers should be aware of to protect themselves from developing work-related asthma in the hair, nail & beauty salons industry:
Healthy Skin, Healthy Nail Technicians: A Resource for Toronto Nail Salon Workers
With help from funding through the Centre for Research Expertise in Occupational Disease, and the Ministry of Labour, the Nail Salon Worker Project will be producing a series of resources focused on workplace health and safety in nail salons. These resources will complement the work that peer workers carry out during the delivery of workshops in nail salons, and will provide a standalone resource that can be shared and disseminated amongst nail technicians. They also include information on where to access additional supports related to employment standards, settlement and immigration, and healthcare.
The first resource is focused on skin protection.
The second resource, focused on reproductive health, will be released in early 2017.
Resources will be available in English, Mandarin, and Vietnamese.
For more information or to request copies for your agency please contact Marika Heinrichs by email or by phone: (416) 703-8482 Ext. 233.
- Healthy Skin Healthy Nail Technicians (English) | View online
- Healthy Skin Healthy Nail Technicians (Mandarin) | View online
- Healthy Skin Healthy Nail Technicians (Vietnamese) | View online
Queen West Garden Group
Our garden group focuses on ways to link gardening to mental health promotion, physical activity and healthy eating. Throughout the summers, participants in the garden programs made new connections and learn new skills. Download the PDF below to learn more.